Thursday, June 14, 2012

"Corkful" Charger



As I start my next project I go through a process that helps me brainstorm ideas and put some of my computer and art design skills to use.

First off, there are a lot of measurements of material, and doodles. 

Then depending on my project: PICTURES!

Some for inspiration, others to document the process of development from raw materials to the finished transformation. And of course, pictures for my blog. Colorful visuals are always wonderful when reading a little story.

For this project I am working with a table setting Charger, that is red and wicker; great texture and love the worn look. Along with a number of wine bottle corks. We have collected the corks over the past year and was about to throw them away when I had a brainstorm to re-purpose or even up-cycle them into something new. So into a bag they went for storage until I had a moment to create.


Now that the time as arrived to create something with the wine bottle corks, I measured a number of them, in diameter and length. With the right number of original corks, I can triple the number of cork pieces by cutting them into thirds with each piece now being around 1/2 inch wide, hoping to create a shape or cluster on top of the charger for some visual depth and contrast.


I've used the measurements, placed them into the computer and created some spec images to get a feel for what the final project "could" look like without having to actually cut up the corks, and arranging and rearranging these little pieces hundreds of times. This way I wouldn't lose a good design by trying something different and not being able to return to the first design. Great time saver!

After an hour and a half of brainstorming designs, I am not so sure if the computer rendition is depicting what the final design could look like, by not being able to really see the depth and texture of the material on the computer. It has helped me work out some of the layout concepts roaming around in my head but I'm still a ways away from a final design to glue in place.

On a side note, I realized that most of the wineries we drink from use the same style corks; the lengths of the corks to their diameters, were very close. The diameters only shifted in size by 1to 2 sixteenths of an inch and the lengths were either 1 13/16s or 1 1/2 inches. So either these are standard sizes or we drink a lot of the same type of wines; whites and blushes with occasional reds. 
Thank you Barefoot, Charles Shaw, Edna Valley, Camelot and Beringer for the inspiration.

So I continue back to the black board, and might have to cut the material into life size pieces and start arranging them to see what this new wall decor piece could actually turn out to be. Wish me luck!

Don't forget to keep an eye on my new "Jolene Marie" Online store to see what new design becomes available next.

Have a great week! The first day of Summer is right around the corner, go soak up some rays

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...