Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Julie & Julia

I was watching the movie "Julie & Julia" today and realized that when the movie came out, blogging was this new and adventurous thing. As I watched the movie, I realize you cannot be anything but inspired in so many ways. From wanting to cook, to achieving a goal for one's self.

Its funny to me though that I'd be writing about a lady who blogged about cooking and Julia Child, on my own blog. But the thing is, I realized that the movie made me think about my own business, my blog and my life. My "A Jewel'd Design" business has been around for about 8 years now... on and off as my life as evolved from daughter to wife to mother of two beautiful girls. And it's always been there as an outlet to my creative moments. But graphic designs have not always been the only creativity in my life. I love to draw, hand stitch fabric panels, scrap booking, painting, assembling greeting cards, the occasional room decor adventures and so many other little things that don't fall under the career skills of a graphic designer. So do I limit my blog to just the graphic design side of my life or do I include all that I do that is artsy and creative? And will the blog still be successful and thrive? For I have many great adventures to come; new designs, new avenues of the business and of course all the wonderful things I get to create and design for my girls.

I don't want "A Jewel'd Design" to be just graphics, for I'm inspired every day by many things but mostly by my mom. She does so much and is always inspiring me to do new things without even knowing it. Just being around her and her studio makes me want to be creative in every aspect of my life.

My mom is a great seamstress with a fabric collection to die for. Enough notions and supplies to be jealous of and so many wonderful ideas and plans that you can't help but get swept up in them. Every day I see her, I go home wanting to start or finish a creative project that I might have lost inspiration for: designing my daughters doll bed quilt (which means using a sewing machine which i still have lots to learn about) or pulling out the sketch pad and pencil and getting some Valentine card images created, or just fine tuning the look of my blog page because she had some great ideas for her own blog, and I want mine to look just as great as hers. I just love the creative energy she gives me when I'm around her.

And with all of this wonderful energy out there, I hate the idea of not share these creative moments just because I didn't do it with a computer or design it for some big company.

So I've decided you will see, not just my graphic design moments, but all my creative moments that arrive in between. For I'm not just a designer, but also a daughter, wife and mother, and want to share all those moments of creativity with you this year and hopefully years to come.

Things to be coming soon!

• My adventures with doll quilts and Disney character bedspreads
• Flat Valentine Cards
• More Logo creations
       and so much more!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all the wonderful things you said about me, your Mom, it brought tears to my eyes. You are talented and creative and I am very happy you will be expanding your blog so you can share all the creative things which are such a part of you and your life. Go Girl! I am cheering you on!
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...